26.6.09

Immerse Yourself Day 1

I arrived this afternoon in Grad Rapids, Michigan and since my arrival I have been continually bombarded by the generous hospitality of the Grand Rapids UCC. Be it a friendly face at a table in the hotel, a local woman eager to invite me to her home congregation, a friendly shuttle driver or the volunteers at the convention center eager to answer questions or hand out home made cookies (a synod tradition) - every one has been so kind! I would like to extend my sincere thanks for making it such a joy to be in Grand Rapids this week! We are the largest convention to ever come to Grand Rapids (at 4,000 attendees) and they certainly have shown us that they are ready!

I was a part of two hearings today one on the proposed Constitutional and Bylaw changes and one on the proposal to move towards a single governance system. I attended both in an attempt to better understand some of the decisions I, as a delegate to the 27th general synod, will be faced with over the upcoming week.

I learned that there has been an extensive process to arrive at the proposed changes to the constitution and bylaws. While everyone respected the process there were a few minor suggestions and changes. In addition there was a large amount of confusion as to what these changes really mean for the life and ministry of the UCC. The biggest clarification was made between the role of the ordained minister and those are licenced and commissioned to service. The answer, as I understood it, was that the ordained minister is typically called to a lifetime of service on behalf of the church, can serve in a variety of locations and the call is less particular. Whereas those who are licensed or commissioned are called to serve in a more particular time and place with a more specific call. The intention, as I understand it is that these amendments will strengthen and specify the discernment process. A process which includes the individual (does not have to be a student thus Student in Care would under the proposed changes transition into Member in Discernment), the local church and the Association. The changes are in many cases codifying what already exists in many associations.

A question that was raised that was never really answered (because it is somewhat unrelated) is who is actually allowed to give communion or perform baptisms? It is a question that is ambiguously answered in our governing documents. I thank the gentleman who raised the question and I invite you to consider it further.

In addition, I was a part of a hearing on Single Governance - which has been set up to be one of the most controversial issues at this synod. I believe much of the controversy stems from misunderstanding. There are some valid issues of contention but they center around how the single governance system should be set up - the nuts and bolts of the issue. Since the issue for this synod is weather or not we should pursue a single governance (not what it should look like) it should go through. I have yet to hear an argument against single governance as a whole - but I am still listening...

Synod kicked off in a glorious series of celebrations and announcements. It is always good to be amouung the wonderful gifts and spirits within the UCC. I was also pleasently surprised to learn that the Mayor of Grand Rapids is one of our very own. Mayor George Hartwell, an ordained UCC clergyman, proudly welcomed us, his family to our 'family renion'. That it is!

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    Thanks for your discussion of the ministry and governance issues. You've explained the difference between ordained, licensed and commissioned better than anyone with whom I've talked! Your spirit, energy and dedication are just what the UCC needs- keep it up and eat a cookie for me!
    Deb Lindsay

    ReplyDelete