11.6.07

Getting Prepped!

The Ohio delegates to the 26th UCC General Synod participated in an all day orientation on May 19th. Delegates had the opportunity to hear each of the resolutions presented and engage in dialogue about them. I was one of the presenters so I have a limited perspective on how the day went because I didn't have the full experience. I, however, did have a very educational experience in that I prepared myself to present the Against Depleted Uranium Weapons resolution. This meant that I spent a good deal of time looking at the sources they quoted as well as finding my own. The process I went through for that resolution is the same as the process as I am going through for the rest of them. And I encourage even those of you who aren't delegates to go through a similar process when looking at these resolutions so that you can be fully informed. I will be sure to let you know if I find any particularly glaring issues that need attention and I would hope that you would also leave a comment here on the blog if you came across other issues that need attention.

It is very important to look at all sources cited (especially the bible) and go back and read the quote in context and look at who wrote the source and where they got there research. We all know how often politicians, and the media will take excerpts and twist them to mean exactly what they want them to mean even if it wasn't the original intent, these resolutions can do the same thing, so I'll be sure to do my research as I hope all of you will too.

I received an email notifying me that there have been five new resolutions added for consideration. Now, it won't be officially decided weather or not these will be voted on until June 20th, and in order for us to vote on them there has to be a timely reason why they couldn't have been written before the original deadline. These resolutions are:
A Resolution on Climate Change
A Resolution to Recognize 2007 as a Sabbath Year
In Support of a Renewed and Balanced Study and Response to the Conflict Between Palestine and Israel
A Call for Solidarity with the Persecuted in the Philippines
A Resolution on Worker Justice at Smithfield
A complete listing and full text of each resolution can be found at http://www.ucc.org/synod/resolutions/

It will be very interesting to see which of these we end up voting on at Synod.

Synod is coming quickly, I'm excited and I still have a lot of research ahead of me. Please, feel free to ask questions or post comments, they will be useful in my discernment process, as I decided whether or not these resolutions should be passed by the UCC.

5 comments:

  1. How do we subscribe to this blog so we get updates when you add something new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    I know you will do a fantastic job representing St. Johns. see you in a few. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. To subscribe to this blog scroll to the botton of the page and select "subscribe to posts" - thanks for your question and your support!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the schedule for the Synod and will look forward to your reactions to some of the speakers; it's a wonderful line-up of thoughtful and interesting people. I hope to follow some of the live webstream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CDK,
    What a great experience for you and SJ. I can't think of anyone who would take this as seriously and give it the time and energy you will.

    I'll try to keep up with the issues you will be helping decide. They must be fascinating and challenging.

    Rick S.

    ReplyDelete