29.6.09

Committee Work and Racism in the UCC

I am extremely pleased to report that committee six produced a single resolution to go to the floor of synod and will make the recommendation unanimously!

We went through a wonderful process guided by our fearless moderator that allowed each member of the committee to be heard. After some initial comments we broke into groups and worked on some specifics. Those groups appointed a spokes person that reported back to the entire committee. After some continued discussion the spokespersons went into a working meeting while the rest of us went into recess. We were restrained by time and needed to be finished by noon. When, at 11:45 the working group was still not finished I became nervous. Although we extended the time I was still concerned that the committee would want to make extensive changes that would not be able to be done in the time allotted.

When the group came back we had a few friendly amendments and then voted unanimously to move the document to the general synod for a vote. It was pretty close to a miracle!

The final document that our committee produced first emphasizes the importance of continuing dialogue and sacred conversations on racial and ethnic issues. We acknowledged that we still have many divisions and tensions within our church that need attention. However, those issues can not and will not be addressed through a governance discernment process. We need separate but concurrent studies and periods of reflection.

In addition, we advocate for intentional continued dialogue with individuals and groups that have felt left out. So that we can use the two years before we have to make a decision on this to bring everyone into the process.

In addition to including the Historically Underrepresented groups in dialogue we also asked that the local churches, associations and conferences be included in the upcoming year in a transparent process.

I think we came to a conclusion after much faithful deliberation that will effectively guide this church into the future.

Most likely the resolution will change once it gets to the floor and I anticipate that there will be voices that speak out on all sides of the issue. I will be sure to report back and let you know how it works out.

One of the things that this process has opened my eyes to is the deep racial tensions that still exist in this church. I have had many conversations about this issue today and I have been wrestling with the concept internally.

I want to share a comment a woman who sat next to me in a committee meeting made. She (an elderly Hispanic woman) said "you know, there will always be people who will never be included because they do not want to be included".

We also heard from a representative from the Pacific Islander and Asian American group who said that part of her challenge was that there were over 18 ethnic groups in her constituency and they don't have that many seat on any board. All of those groups have different and at times contradictory needs and it is difficult for any one or two people to effectively represent all of those groups.

I also heard from two people different people. One who ardently insisted that the process was inclusive of all groups and one who insisted that it was not- that it was in fact racist.

I don't know how all of these things add up. And I do not have any answers. I do know that there is anger and hurt and that we as a church need to engage in a healing process by recognizing these feelings rather than brushing past it. I know there is racism that still exists in this country and in this church. I hate it and more than anything wish that it could end. But I am increasingly seeing racism in the non traditional sense, (racism that is often refered to as reverse racism) emerge and at times it is just as difficult to see.

When we discuss HUGs I cringe because it puts people in boxes. I am white, I am a heterosexual biological female, I am a young adult. But that DOES NOT DEFINE ME. I know that the color of a persons skin or their age or gender do not define them. In the UCC we place a lot of emphasis on those categories. I have to remind myself that it is better than nothing. The fact that we strive so hard to get people from all sorts of different boxes so that we can have different voices at the table is fairly progressive and as a lot of the right intentions.

But for me it is not enough. I would like to think that it would not be enough for the UCC either. If we are truly to embrace our identity as a multi-racial, multi-cultural church that strives for equality and justice then we need to drop the boxes. We need to take a stand and embrace people as individuals. For the spiritual gifts they bring to the table, not because of the groups they belong to. I don't know what that looks like in a governance model or on any level but I know that that is where we need to be.

It is my guess is that if we were to recruit and appoint based on spiritual gifts and what they as individuals bring to the table we would get a group that looks like what we try to get it to look like now. So much of what we can bring to the table is determined by our cultural background and upbringing. For instance, Rev. Otis Moss II who is the pastor at Trinity UCC in Chicago (An Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian Church) and preached at synod Friday evening, is probably the best preacher I have ever heard. His style of preaching has clearly come from his role in the African- American community and his studies related to African American theology and history. When I would assemble a list of talented preachers his name would be at the top and it would have nothing to do with his race. It would be because I think he is a voice that we as a church, as a nation and as a world need to hear. It is clear to be that God made us all different because we can all serve as different parts of the body of Christ, that our different spiritual gifts make us stronger as a whole. What I do not understand is why God would make it so that it is so difficult for some of us to grapple with our differences. I hope that eventually we can break down the boxes and look at individuals for what they are; completely unique, wonderful, beautiful human beings.

I am me. You are you. I don't care if you are blue or black, in a wheel chair or a spaceship. We are all children of God. I dream of a church where we can truly celebrate that.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Courtney,

    thanks for your reports from Synod. It helps me to get a feel for what's going on.

    Glad you had such a great time!

    Kelly Brill
    Avon Lake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Courtney,

    thanks for keeping a synod blog; I enjoyed having a feel for things from afar. Sounds like a great week!

    Kelly Brill
    Avon Lake UCC
    pastor@thealucc.org

    ReplyDelete