25.6.07

Day 4_ Let it Shine!

This morning I was blessed to have the opportunity to continue to work with my committee as we proceeded to the deliberation process. Ultimately, after a few grammatical and word choice changes, we submitted the resolution to the floor of the 26th General Synod with a recommendation to adopt the resolution with the specified amendments. For the most part the changes made were minor and simply worked to clarify the language at the end of the statement.

I was the official recorder for our committee so I got to go behind the scenes and participate in the official process of confirming the committee work with the chair of the committee and our fabulous technical support person. The process was interesting but ultimately it made me thankful that our committee process was relatively straightforward and simplistic.

As I’ve been talking with other delegates and visitors I’ve heard many rumors about what went on in other committee meetings. I have heard that the resolutions on gay marriage will be sent to the floor with a recommendation for no action. Members of the committee on restructuring the composition of the General Synod are reporting that they will send a substitute resolution to the floor that requests that the executive committee along with the conferences make a stronger effort to engage the local church in the national setting. I have also heard that the resolution on physicians’ legal aid in dying will come in with some significant changes although at this point I’m still not clear as to what those might be. In addition, the resolution on depleted uranium weapons should have several changes, there seems to have been some controversy over the background information because it was incorrect. Supposedly the original authors are changing the text of the resolution so that the committee can proceed with its deliberations. I am also aware of an amendment that is being brought to the floor on the resolution for solidarity among the persecuted in the Philippines that is being brought forth by one of my fellow youth delegates after he had a long conversation with a Philippino.
I want to be very clear in that these are things that I have heard, but I cannot with any certainty guarantee their accuracy. I will continue to keep you posted and as I have more formal and factual information I will be sure to share.

At 2:30 we move into plenary where we will hear various resolutions presented by committee chairs and then we will proceed to take action (or in some cases take no action) on the resolutions. We do have the capability to present amendments on the floor, so the entire process has the potential to be very, very long. However, my hope is that we can all respect the processes that our committees went through and move forward with efficiency. We will also recognize those receiving awards at Synod, introduce and present Cally Rogers Witte, nominee for Officer of the United Church of Christ and Executive Minister of Wider Church Ministries as well as Edith Guffey, nominee for Officer of the United Church of Christ, Associate General Minister, and we will here our keynote for this afternoon by Marian Wright Edelman. We will adjourn for dinner and then return for our evening plenary at 7:30. It will be fascinating to see how things proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment